As the holidays draw near, it’s easy to start thinking: “How am I going to stay on track with nutrition? What about a frequent workout plan?”
At Farrell’s, we give you the skill set to stay on track. Focusing on nutrition and exercise will keep you accountable to your later goals.
You can start creating healthy habits today by trying a free week of fitness classes at FXB Overland Park. Here are a couple of other hints to help you navigate the coming season while still pursuing your goals.
4 Helpful Tips to Navigate the Holiday Season
1. Set Your Alarm Clock
Tackle your workout immediately when you get up if your schedule permits it. The last few months of the year are busy, but it’s better to tick your workout off your to-do list—instead of telling yourself you’ll make it up another day.
2. Plan Your Meals
It’s easier to plan your meals a few days beforehand, instead of making unhealthy decisions when you’re hungry and without a dinner plan. Our Simple Meal Plan makes grocery shopping and meal planning easy. Contact us to get your copy.
If you’re eating at a restaurant during the weekend, change your meals during the week to keep your nutrition proportioned.
Related: 6 Reasons Why Farrell’s Nutrition Works
Sample Weekday Meal Plan
Here’s an example of a daily meal plan you can customize:
- Breakfast: healthy protein shake
- Lunch: nutrient-rich salad with fresh veggies and protein
- Dinner: chicken with a salad, acorn squash or sweet potato
Here’s an easy brined chicken recipe from AllSpice Culinarium in Des Moines.
You only need two ingredients:
- One whole chicken
- All Spice Brining Mix (half packet)
- Boil 3 cups of water in a small saucepan. Add in a half packet of the brining mix and boil until the crystals dissolve.
- While you are waiting for the brine, rinse the chicken under cold water. Drop the chicken in a large stockpot with cold water and ice until the chicken is fully underwater. Pour brine into the stockpot and stir to consistently distribute.
- Cover with a lid and refrigerate overnight. The following day, rinse the chicken before roasting it.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Rest the chicken in a roasting pan, breast side up and brush olive oil or butter over the chicken. (Optional: Stuff with celery and onion.)
- Bake uncovered for 75 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 180 degrees. Toward the end of baking, broil your chicken if you want it browned.
- Remove from oven and let the chicken rest for 15-20 minutes.
You can also follow this recipe to bake your Thanksgiving turkey. If cooking turkey, use the entire packet of brining mix.
3. Take a Cozy Break
Grab your favorite blanket, find a cozy spot and take a nap. A 30-minute nap is reinvigorating and helps you remain healthy during the busy holiday season.
If you need help sleeping, check out the Calm app. You’ll rest peacefully and wake to a pleasant chorus of birds, not an irritating phone alarm.
4. Enjoy the Season
Don’t forget to find joy in the upcoming busy season.
- Schedule a supper with loved ones
- Reduce your daily stress by spending time on Sundays meal planning
- Relax when you need it
Build Healthy Habits Today with FXB
Now is the time to get going on building healthy habits to carry you through the holidays. At Farrell’s Overland Park, we’ll instruct you on nutrition, exercise and more. Get started today by claiming your free week of classes with us.